Thursday, February 10, 2005

George Michael

George who? Hehe, just kidding... ;-)
If you did not spent your last 20 years in a bunker without radio and television, I guess I don't need to tell you who George Michael is!
Just a quick note on him today to let you know that on 10th februray 1985, George Michael's hit "Careless Whisper" finally crossed the ocean and hit the number one position in US charts... In UK, this song hit the first place on august'84 already!!! 6 months to cross the ocean... what a record! ;-)

The story of this song is a bit original, because I'm still not sure if it has to be considered as a George Michael's song or a Wham!'s song... In Uk, the song was published as a solo from George and in the US it was credited to Wham! featuring George Michael !!! Actually, it looks like the song was written by George Michael together with Andrew Ridgeley, but this ballad didn't fit well with the image Wham! had with their upbeat songs...
At the end, it appeared well on Wham!'s second album "Make it big", this was their breakthrough album as it also contained the hits "Wake me up before you go-go", "Everything she wants" and "Freedom". You can click here to listen to samples of those.
I'll talk again about Wham! in another post and I'll try then to know what Andrew Ridgeley became, but that's another story...

If you want to read more about this song's story, click here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey,
Love your blog! I'm a HUGE 80s music fan, and I was just a baby in the 80s. Anyway, I've grown up and crafted a self-produced debut EP called Ridiculous, which is in many ways a modern reinvention of 80s music with a George Michael feel. I'd love for you to check it out and let me know what you think. Just visit www.myspace.com/anthonydinimusic